The Young Family

In July 1842 William Young, of Kelvin Dock, Glasgow, and his wife, Margaret (nee Hughes, of Denbigh Co., Wales ) boarded the sailing vessel, “Thomas Sparks” , at Deptford in the Thames River near London. With them were a son, John, and two daughters, Agnes and Margaret.
It was quite an eventful trip, including being shipwrecked and in a collision with another ship.

Thames River

It took six months and seven days to reach New Zealand. After remaining one year in Wellington, William Young and his family shipped aboard the “Sir John Franklin” for Van Dieman’s Land. After a terribly rough crossing in which they called at Twofold Bay in N.S.W, they finally entered Bass Strait and landed at Launceston on 9th March 1844.
More about William & Margaret Young

Twofold Bay, NSW 1843

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


William & Margaret's son, John Young, married Sarah Spence (daughter of Francis & Mary Spence) in Launceston in 1859 at the Indepenent Chapel in Tamar St Launceston. They eventually moved to Deloraine. They occupied a house in Barrack St while John worked at Mond’s Flour Mill. Later he bought a 45 hectare property in Barrington against the White Hawk Creek.

Deloraine postcard c.1870's



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In 1870 John and Sarah, with six small children, set out to settle on this property, now owned by Maurice Woodberry. From Dunorlan it was a slow and laborious journey over rough bush track, travelling with a horse drawn-cart. The family camped in the bush the first night and on the second evening they lodged in a rough hut at the foot of the Don Hill. They reached their forest holding in Barrington by nightfall on the third day.


Barrington area c.1878


It was a hard life in those days, with nearest supplies no closer than Latrobe.
The Young’s ultimately had twelve children.

John Young & Sarah Spence & Family

Edwin, Annie, Kirkwood, Nellie, Montague, Alice, Frank
Archibald, Mary,
John Young & Sarah Spence, John, Elizabeth


When the evangelists arrived in Barrington in 1874, John Young was 41, Sarah 33. She and the older children were converted then, and as the younger ones grew up every child became a member of the Kentish assembly. Sarah Young was both doctor and nurse to a large section of the Barrington community. In fact, it may well have been she who was the unnamed nurse who travelled to Forth to attend Charles Perrin in his dying hours. Her husband, John Young, on the other hand, never professed to be saved.

Sarah Young (nee Spence)
with youngest son, David

The oldest son, also John Young, became an outstanding preacher. By 1883 he was in demand along the Coast at Conference time. About this time he and his brother, Archie, came to the Ridgley area to work. Both married Smith sisters and settled down there. Archie Young moved to Burnie where he joined that assembly. John Young and his father-in law, Thomas Smith, were instrumental in building up an assembly at Ridgley.

Ridgley, Tasmania

In 1896 their first Conference was held in John Young’s barn. As he was preparing the barn, word reached him that a fire was fast approaching a paddock of peas, but realising the urgent necessity of having the barn ready for the next day, he decided to commend the care of the peas to the Lord. Upon investigation later, it was discovered that the fire had burnt right to fence, then apparently the wind changed and the pea crop was saved.

Text From:


Home | Photo Album | Guest Book | Contact Us